What, if any, recourse do I have as the victim of adoption fraud?

Asked 12 months ago - Kalamazoo, MI

In Nov. 2012, my wife and I adopted a baby via domestic direct placement. One month post-placement (the day before the termination of parental rights hearing), the birth mother demanded the baby's return. Subsequent to all of this, we have discovered that this act was premeditated, money motivated, and something that this birth mother has done with other children. She is currently embroiled in a custody case with the baby's birth father who supported the adoption. What, if any, legal recourse do we have in this situation? We are heartbroken to have lost a baby we bonded to as parents. We also lost $7,000 to the failed adoption and we don't want her to be able to do this to other parents with additional children she may bear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . Sue her in small claims court or hire an attorney and help the baby's father. Maybe he will let you visit from time to time with the child.