Skip to main content

What do i do if i want to claim a child that i pay child support for on taxes?we arent married.i make alot more money than mom

Richmond, IN |

what motions do i need to file?will be fileing on my own. dont have money for attorney.what do i say or ask for on the motion.

Attorney Answers 2


Check with your CPA/tax preparer, but unless the court makes an order re-allocating the dependency exemption (which will also increase the amount of support you pay, slightly), you can't. The parent who has custody of the child 50.1% of the time or more gets the dependency exemption; doesn't matter who's paying who, or how much.

Mark as helpful


The custodial parent gets the exemption unless a waiver has been signed by the custodial parent, form 8332 File a petition with the court asking for a court order. Ask the clerk of the court what forms you have to file.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics