What can I do about my family taking over my missing grandparents home?

Asked over 1 year ago - Coachella, CA

My grandparents & my brother went missing while on vacation to Mexico on 01/04/2013, & were reported missing to local police, Department of Homeland Security, the U.S Consulate, & the F.B.I. My immediate family live near my grandparents home which is located about 2 hours away from where I live. I am focused on connecting with agencies that can help find them & I didn't find out until recently that some of my family had made entry in to my grandparents home (my grandparents never gave keys or allowed my family access to their home because of family breaking in & taking things in the past). I found out that they are now living in the home & are going through my grandparents things and moving out furniture. My grandparents would not want this but I do not know how to stop it.

What happens in a case like this? How can we go about designating one person to oversee certain affairs until my grandparents are found? How can I petition the court to choose one responsible person from our family to do this? I am willing to help finance some of the costs of maintaining the property but cannot oversee all of the various aspects of taking care of the property myself so I would like know how I can have the court intervene in this situation so that these other family members do not destroy the home or get in to my grandparents personal documents or accounts.

1. Daphne Lori Macklin

5

Best Answer

Answered . Sad situation made worse by relatives behaving poorly. You or you and other family members will need to consult with a probate attorney to have someone appointed as conservator of your grandparents' estate. You may request the appointment of a temporary conservator given the unfortunate circumstances, but someone will need to be empowered by the Probate Court of your local county superior court to manage your grandparents' affairs. You need to take these steps as soon as possible. Good luck.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with a probate attorney in your community.
  2. Kamala Maddipoti

1

Answered . The another easy way is to file a complaint with police for possible criminal activity as they do not have legal access to the home.

3. Kamala Maddipoti

1

4. David B Pittman

Pro

1

Answered . Consult a probate attorney. What a terrible situation. I am so sorry. Did you ever find out what happened to them?