What are the first steps do I need to take for a Drunk in Public arrest in Oxford, Mississippi?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oxford, MS

I'm trying to get my "ducks in a row" before taking action. This is my first time to ever be arrested for anything including speeding tickets and it is very embarrassing. The details: I'm a 25 year old male in his last semester of college and also have a part-time job as a licensed nurse. The arrest took place during a local festival. I am obviously guilty because I had been drinking heavily and do not actually remember the arrest. I am currently waiting to hear back from human resources about a job offer I just accepted. According to the nursing practice act I could have my license suspended if convicted. I am clueless as what I need to do next. My main concern is trying to find a way that allows the offense to not show up on record if possible.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Victor Wallace Carmody Jr.

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are at least two very important considerations to address:1,Ole Miss has a two strike policy on alcohol related offenses,which may include "drunk in public"charges.One more alcohol related charge(DUI,open container or drunk in public) will subject you to removal from campus;2 ,The nursing board can deny,or restrict your ability to practice.I have represented clients before the nursing board,and found the board to be very NON-forgiving,with automatic referral to the recovering nurse program,and sentences of six months to five years of on the job supervision by another nurse. this day and time no business wants to hire two nurses to do the job of one nurse!
    First do not represent your self in court,you will not win. Second hire a lawyer. Third,do not plead guilty. Lastly,fight your case in court! Good Luck.Vic Carmody

    Legal disclaimer: This communication is for informational purposes only, and does not establish any attorney-... more
  2. Anders Ferrington

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Step 1. Get an attorney ASAP. Alcohol convictions cause a lot of problems with the nursing board. The attorney may also need to represent you before said board.
    You and your attorney should then explore the multiple approaches that could be undertaken to have this issue be resolved in a way that has minimum impacts on your future.

    The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice,... more
  3. William Paul Starks II

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Hire yourself a lawyer who has experience handling cases in Oxford. An experienced lawyer has many options available which may be able to keep it off of your record.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,001 answers this week

2,882 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,001 answers this week

2,882 attorneys answering