Were any laws broken when my phone call was recorded by the other party without my consent?

Asked 11 months ago - Rockville Centre, NY

I am located in the state of New York. In New York, a phone call can be recorded as long as one party consents to having the call recorded.

During a phone discussion with a party in California, the phone call was recorded by the other party without my consent or any other notification. California requires 2 party consent when a phone call is recorded.

There was no consent whatsoever on my part, and here was no notification that the call was being recorded.

I found out that the call was recorded because the other party emailed our recorded discussion to me.

Were any laws broken, and if so, what are my options proceeding legally?

Thanks!

1. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . No laws were broken.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . If you are correct about California law then the person there who recorded your call violated CA law. You can speak to the police in the County where the call was recorded.

3. Robert K. Erlanger

Answered . We cannot give legal advice on this site, only guidance. It looks like you know the law and answered your own question.