Went today to my biometrics appointment (December 24th at 11am) and it was closed.

Astoria, NY |

I received my biometrics appointment letter a few weeks ago and the appointment was scheduled today Dec 24th, but when I got to my application support center it was closed for Christmas observation. My letter says "If you fail to appear as scheduled, your application will be considered abandoned." I have my i-751 pending and I'm worried that they might just deny it for this reason. How can they give me an appointment when they're closed? What should I do now?

1. They will send you a new notice. If you do not get it, call customer service.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

2. Try again on December 26. Sometimes, the ASC still goes ahead to capture the biometrics of applicants who walk in even before the appointment date.

3. I agree with Mr. Iziokhai. Return on the morning of 12/26 and explain what happened. You should be okay and it is likely that the Biometrics Center will take your fingerprints. However, make sure that you bring unexpired identification cards along with your expired conditional card. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

4. December 24 and 25 are Federal Holidays, you may attempt on December 26. However, it is likely that you will have a new date set by USCIS.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016

5. Did you take a photo of the sign showing that the USCIS was closed?

Sometimes the government inadvertently schedules appointments on days when government offices will be closed.

We recently had a situation where our client couldn’t make her biometrics appointment due to Hurricane Sandy. She went as soon as the transportation in NYC was working again, and completed her biometrics without a problem.

As long as you take steps to go back to the USCIS office right away, your application should not be considered abandoned.

-Denise K. Bonnaig, Esq.
    212-374-1511