Wenever soldier from another country other than USA goes AWOL, can this prevent them from being eligible for a Green Card?

Asked about 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

Have been a member of the military, but went AWOL (left my job before my contract expired). The thing is that i'm not sure if it would affect me getting my green card seeing that i wasn't apart of the US Army. I'm married and is currently living with my family in the united states. My wife is a USC and she and i are planning to submit my documents to the USCIS very soon.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The answer depends upon more information. Has your country issued any warrants for your arrest? What military training did you receive? Did you engage in any conduct in the military that could constitute persecution? You need to meet with an experienced immigration attorney prior to filing the petitions.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. John Daniel Hafemann

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is really an immigration law issue. However, it is important to remember that military recruiters evaluate potential recruits, and waivers are allocated on a case-by-case basis. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases whether or not you are able to enlist may depend on how much effort the recruiter is willing to put forth. Feel free to give me a call, I would be happy to discuss your options with you. The initial consult is always free. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,621 answers this week

3,049 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,621 answers this week

3,049 attorneys answering