Wells Fargo have frozen my bank accounts and are in the process of garnishing my wages. What can I do?

Asked about 2 years ago - 60516

I have a equity line of credit on my rental property through Wells Fargo. The property went through foreclosure and the first got the proceeds. Wells Fargo sued me and recieved a judgement. I've been trying to settle with them, however they refuse to take anything less than 80%. Other than bankruptcy, what options do i have? Which type of attorney should i be talking to?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Try hiring a consumer attorney, especially one familiar with your type of situation. You should have hired one earlier and you might have been in a better position now, but better late than never.

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am assuming that a personal deficiency judgment was entered against you as part of the foreclosure. Under Illinois law, the only way a plaintiff can properly get such a judgment is if there is personal service (unless an appearance is on file in the foreclosure action). Our appellate court has interpreted the phrase “personal service” in this context to include substituted service as well (which occurs when the sheriff or process server leaves a copy of the complaint and summons at the defendant's usual place of abode with a person of the family or a person residing there who is at least 13 and apprises that person of the contents and also mails a copy to the defendant). Here’s a link to some helpful information as to exemption rights: http://www.illinoisprobono.org/index.cfm?fuseac.... You may want to sit down with an attorney and all relevant documents to discuss. Hope this helps. Good luck!

    Robert T. Kuehl
    Kuehl Law, P.C.
    Chicago, Illinois
    Email: bob@kuehllawpc.com
    Website: www.kuehllawpc.com

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . At this point, your choices of attorneys seem to be bankruptcy attorney or consumer rights attorney. It may be too late to change the outcome of the court case, but a consumer debt defense attorney may find a way to challenge the judgment and strengthen your negotiating position. Try www.naca.net to locate a consumer attorney near you.

    Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The... more

Related Topics

Wage garnishment

Wage garnishment is the process whereby your employer sends part of your paycheck directly to your creditor in order to pay off your debt.

Dorothy G Bunce

Wage Garnishment

If you have a wage garnishment or if your bank account has been attached by a creditor, you may be mad or you may just be frightened. You don't need to be a victim because the law provides... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,170 answers this week

3,689 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,170 answers this week

3,689 attorneys answering