Welfare investigation.

Asked over 1 year ago - Duncannon, PA

I won money at the casino and played it back, and now am being investigated by the welfare office. I didn't leave there a winner so I never claimed the money I won. I get help with food stamps and medical assistance. Can you tell me what is going to happen to me? The win lose statement also shows I was a loser, I have been informed I have a gambling problem so I just put myself on the banned list with the casino, but am worried about what is going to happen to me

This is about a problem with welfare and the assistance office not SS

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

Answered . This is not really a Social Security question so I will try to repost for you.

2. Clint Curtis

Answered . You should likely contact legal aid to help you with this. It is important to get your documents showing your total assets. If you are on SSI, which it sounds like you are; gambling winnings, lottery winnings and prizes are counted as unearned income subject to the general rules pertaining to income and income exclusions. SS does not subtract gambling losses from gambling winnings in determining an individual's countable income. As such, they will probably find that the money you received should have been offset by the amount you won.