Websites advertise free legal consultations, is it false advertising if they don't give you an opportunity to have one?

Asked 11 months ago - Pasadena, CA

I keep contacting lawyers offices to obtain the "free" legal consultation that their websites are advertising and they keep giving me the run around. They come up with an assortment of reasons; their caseloads are full, we are a small firm and can't handle any more cases, some want me to document my case in detail and send it to them over the internet (no confidentiality there!). Others refuse to set up a consultation with the lawyer I chose; instead they set up a consultation and refuse to tell me who I will be meeting with. This process is keeping me from obtain legal counsel in a timely manner and making it difficult for me to interview a lawyer, as many of them also do not accept walk-in potential clients either. How should I handle this; or, how would you handle this if you were in my shoes?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . Applicable laws about truth in advertising will not be much use to you here. The offer of a free consultation is not made false by any of the dissatisfactions you have described here. A consultation is still free even though it does not coincide with your personal schedule or convenience; even where it does not meet your preference as to the identity of the person participating in the consultation; even as it does not provide you the right to specify the mode or nature of material to be discussed; etc. The other specifics that you wish to dictate are similarly not made mandatory by the offer of a free consultation.

If you want to choose the identity of the attorney advising you, and you want it all to happen in a time and place that works for you, and you want to transmit the info your way, then you will need to get out your checkbook. That's the nature of the marketplace.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

1

Answered . A "free" consultation does not necessarily mean an office consultation or a consultation for any specified period of time. I agree that attorney's advertising free consultations should specify any restrictions, but many do not and simply screen potential clients over the phone to weed out the chaff.

In any event, so long as any consultation is actually free, I don’t think you have a right to complain, i.e., I do not think you have a right to a consultation – free or otherwise. In fact, there are circumstances such as where an attorney has a conflict of interest that any consultation would be improper. There is also the circumstance such as when a client has a trademark or patent dispute but the attorney has no expertise in the area. Under such a circumstance an attorney would rightfully decline to consult with the client. There are, of course, many other such circumstances including those mentioned in your question when a consultation would provide no benefit to the client or be precluded by ethical standards.

I do not advertise or provide free consultations – I provide no obligation telephone consultations after necessary and appropriate client screening. I charge for office consultations. This information is available on my website for those who wish to read through the FAQ. I have a blog post entitled: “The Myth of the Free Consultation” which I am working on. Perhaps I will finish it soon now that your question has renewed my interest and provided some food for thought.

3. Calvin T. Sun

1

Answered . Sounds like you are looking for pro bono attorney? Suggest you contact local bar association, explain situation and ask for referrals. Or see if nearby law school offers a clinic.