We would like the copy of an incident report from a nursing home. we are guardians of my uncle. What are the HIPPA Regs?

Richmond, VA |

Uncle smack the hand of another resident. Resident family filed legal suit. we requested a copy of incident report from NH and they are not willing to provide. What does HIPPA regs say about information from chart of resident. We are his legal guardians. We have a right to that report according to HIPPA regs, at least I thought.

1. Generally nursing homes and hospitals will take the position that incident reports are not part of the medical records but are rather internal documents. Usually difficult to obtain unless/until you file a suit.

2. Our law firm handles nursing home complaints throughout Virginia. We have successfully argued in court that residents are entitled to incident reports - in fact, there are Virginia laws that say incident reports are a part of the medical record, and you have a right to see them.

Give my office a call at (540) 985-0098, and I would be glad to get a copy for you from the nursing home.

3. http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/index.html

4. I would take up Attorney Dean’s offer and give him a call.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

5. I thought I answered this before maybe it did not go through. Incident reports may be protected under federal and state quality assurance regulations. Nursing Homes need to investigate incidents to ensure they are trying to keep residents safe - they are supposed to have an "incident report" this report is for the purpose to let members of the "quality assurance committee" If the right people were present there is a presumption of confidentiality.... that is the nursing home argument.

Is this situation I would imagine that if you have an attorney that would be able to make a motion to compel the release of the document. This is can be a complicated issue.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.