We were married in India but husband did not leagalize marriage in US. Do I have a case?

Fresno, CA |

We are both US citizens. Husband refuses to legalize the marriage. We have social records, videos, photographs of the marriage and of living together. I dont want to leave him. He has promised I will have the house we live in. But has not made any legal paperwork yet. His ex wife holds power of attorney and is trustee to all his estate. Do i have any rights at all?

1. When you say that your husband "did not legalize" your marriage in the U.S., exactly what do you mean? Were you validly married in India? Was he not married to anyone else when you got married? Then your marriage is valid in the U.S., even if he hasn't done anything else. If he lives in the U.S., you can go ahead with a dissolution, and to enforce your rights to community property, whether or not he tries to avoid it by transferring authority to his ex-wife. You should speak to an experienced family law attorney and review all the facts.

2. Your statement of facts begs for additional information. Your best bet is to contact a local family law attorney and explore your specific circumstances in detail. Many attorneys offer a free consultation. Good luck.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold www.EGoldLaw.com Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con