We were married in California. We live separately in and are getting a divorce in Arizona. Can I file all paperwork in Arizona?

Asked 10 months ago - Phoenix, AZ

Husband (me) will be petitioner. Wife will be respondent. No children. We agree on division of property. We agree on details of consent decree. She has not yet been served. We both want it to be amicable.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Silkman

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As long as you or your spouse has lived in AZ for at least ninety (90) days, you can file your divorce here.

  2. Taylor House


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Where you were married doesn't have any effect on where you can file for divorce. If you or your spouse have lived in Arizona for at least 90 days, you can file for divorce in Arizona.

    This post is general information about divorce and family law in Arizona, and is not legal advice. Divorce is a... more
  3. Warren Luccitti

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . Yes, you can file all your papers in Arizona. There really is no basis for filing it in California if either of you have been living here in Arizona for at least the past 90 days.

    If it's amicable, once you have served the papers on your spouse, or once she accepts service, then you can submit a consent decree to the court after the 60 day waiting period has expired.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,010 answers this week

3,614 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,010 answers this week

3,614 attorneys answering