We were divorced in June 2012. Financial issues dont go into effect until bankruptcy is over and house is sold in 7/2014.

Asked over 1 year ago - Frankfort, IL

living in same house until then also. Wanted to know how to file taxes?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You each file single. One takes head of household if there are kids. Decide how the deductions should be taken for real estate taxes. You had a lawyer. You are best served by discussing this with your lawyer.

  2. Gary L. Schlesinger

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . as a single person unless you have kids with you and then perhaps as a head of household.

  3. Jenette M. Schwemler

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Single and perhaps head of household. Talk to an accountant.

    This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication constitutes general legal... more
  4. David Leibowitz


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your were divorced in June of 2012, your marital status at the end of the year should control. It would appear that you'd file either "single" or "single head of household" as the case might be. You are no longer married and would not file jointly.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,289 answers this week

2,783 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,289 answers this week

2,783 attorneys answering