We want to buy a multifamily home as our primary residence, but all the units are currently rented.

Asked over 1 year ago - Wallington, NJ

My wife and I have found a great little multifamily home that will fit our financial situation perfectly. We want to use this as our primary residence both as a practical means and also to keep in line with FHA loan requirements. This is not just going to be an investment home.

The catch. All three units are currently rented. 2 of the units have leases that expire in early 2014 and one of the units is a month to month lease. How do we, both ethically and legally, ask the month to month tenants to leave?

If there are any delays, and we have to wait for the tenant to find suitable housing, could a loan based on us using the property as a primary residence be jeopardized?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. William C. Mack


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . None of the prior answers addressed your last paragraph. If you are seeking a loan based on using the purchased property as your primary residence, there is usually an affidavit that you have to sign at closing indicating it is your intent to occupy the premises within 60 days after closing - and I believe this is a requirement of an FHA loan. You should therefore be sure that the seller's notice to the tenant to vacate is a final date within that period, to avoid any question that you might not have had a reasonable intent to occupy the property within the period.

    Please consult an attorney directly before taking action. This answer is intended for general information only... more
  2. John B. D'Alessandro

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . NJSA 2A:18-61.1(L) will allow you to enter into a contract to purchase the building with a specific statement in the contract that you want that unit vacant as you intend to personally occupy the unit after closing. The seller will be required to give that tenant a two month notice to quit. You should retain counsel to represent you in the purchase and address this issue.

    IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: The response to the question posted is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-... more
  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Ask the month to month tenants to leave and if not done use the eviction process. Month to month tenants know that notice is likely coming. Use the law and the ethics of the law to guide you.

  4. Jennifer L. Ellis


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You just need to provide the notice required under California law to the month to month folks. To save yourself some aggravation, it might be worth it to run things by an experienced landlord attorney.

    For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security... more

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Buying real estate with a home mortgage

A home mortgage is a loan to buy a home, where the home is the collateral. There are many different types, and the right one for you depends on your situation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,329 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,329 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering