We received a settlement due to a wrongful death. We know this money is not taxable, but how do we need to list it on our taxes

Asked over 2 years ago - Broomfield, CO

I want to make sure we do our taxes properly since we do our taxes ourselves.

1. Christopher Michael Larson

Pro

13

Answered . This income is excluded, which implies that it doesn't even need to be listed on the return. Did you receive a 1099? Did it list the amount as taxable? if it shows as untaxable, the IRS already knows this will not be included. Not a bad idea to spend a few hundred dollars on a CPA in years where things like this happen.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    www.insightlawfirm.com

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

12

Answered . You should approach a tax specialist. Depending on your circumstances you may have a number of options. On the slim facts you provided, you are unlikely to get an answer that maximizes your options.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

10

Answered . Be very careful! If the release that was executed prior to your receipt of funds references lost wages, there could be a tax consequence! Ask an attorney experienced in personal injury matters to look over the release!

4. Steven Anderson Leahy

Pro

10

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Generally, a tax return is used to report income - If the court award is not income, it does not have to be reported. Unfortunately, there are always exceptions, that's why you need a tax professional. Especially, when something out of the ordinary happens.

I hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Steven A. Leahy
    www.chicagotaxteam.com

5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

6

Answered . The IRS has a toll free number to answer technical tax questions. Call them. (These types of recoveries are not generally taxable nor reportable. Still, call the IRS.)