WE received a letter from an IRS Revenue Officer asking our President to meet with him to tell him why our back taxes owed for

$10,0000 from over 10 years ago.We are a 50lc3. He wants our President meet in another State 900 miles from us in 2weeks! He wants an explanation as to why we have not paid the $10k owed with penalties and interest and wants him to file and sign yearsof 2008-2110 tax returns which we have not yet.We have not filed since 2002. We have not had any employees since 2002 and our annual gross income has dropped dramatically to under $19,000 for a few years now...What do I do? Should we respond to the letter & travel 900 miles to meet Revenue Officer or should contact him even though he did not send the letter certified. It was hand addressed regular mail. We have had no personal contact for several years. Our corporate status was administratively disolved 5 years ago but we will reincorporate.

Gainesville, FL -

Gregory Herman-Giddens

Gregory Herman-Giddens

Tax Lawyer - Chapel Hill, NC

You need to hire a tax lawyer. Right away.

Andrew B Gordon

Andrew B Gordon

Tax Lawyer - Lake Zurich, IL

I would seek a tax attorney to assist you. They may be able to go on your presidents behalf and also should be consulted before signing any unfiled taxed returns.

Andrew B. Gordon, CPA, Esq.
One First Bank Plaza, #207 | Lake Zurich, IL 60047
Main: 847.580.1279 | Fax: 847.305.1202
ABG@GordonLawLtd.com

Amanda Marie Cook

Amanda Marie Cook

Tax Lawyer - San Diego, CA

I agree that you need to speak to an attorney immediately to get this resolved. Your CORPORATE status was probably not dissolved; your NON-PROFIT status was dissolved. This means that you are being taxed as a for-profit entity. Do not ignore this notice.

John P Fazzio III

John P Fazzio III

Tax Lawyer - Mahwah, NJ

I am confused by your question. If you are administratively dissolved you no longer enjoy 501(c)(3) status, which has stringent annual reporting requirements. It also is strange for a Revenue Officer to require an in-person meeting 900 miles away. If you have not been filing you have a serious problem and need to see local Florida tax counsel right away.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.