We owe California State tax and cannot afford to pay? We now live in Las Vegas, NV. Can California put a lein on our assets?

North Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Tax law

We have received letters and tried to make a small monthly payment that they will not accept as they require a larger monthly sum.

Yes, they can pursue you in NV. I would contact a local estate planning attorney in Las Vegas to see how to deal with asset protection. As well, you might want to contact the Board and negtiate a payment plan. That will usually get them off your back.

The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical, legal and practical evaluation, nor does this recommendation create a retention of counsel agreement between us, wherein an attorney-client relationship or privilege exists. These recommendations should never be relied upon without first consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. I am not your attorney, unless we enter into a written agreement fulfilling the terms of that agreement. The comments posted herein are purely for public educational purposes and public discourse on general legal topics. I presume the specific fact scenarios are only supposition and am thus commenting for the public's benefit and understanding of law. I am not soliciting you to hire me or my law firm, though in certain jurisdictions I may be able to refer you to an attorney that can help you or may consult with you for free.

2. The California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) has been very aggressive in pursuing any back taxes owed to them. If you have any funds in a bank that has a branch anywhere in California, be careful - you may soon find that a tax levy has wiped out your account balance.

If they cannot reach your assets that way, they may obtain a tax lien judgment against you, and try to get a court in Nevada to domesticate the order and enforce it there.

It would be in your best interest to consult with a tax attorney.

These answers are provided for educational purposes only, and should not be construed to be either formal legal advice or the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. For specific legal advice that applies to your individual situation, you must be a client of this law firm.