We owe California State tax and cannot afford to pay? We now live in Las Vegas, NV. Can California put a lein on our assets?

Asked about 2 years ago - North Las Vegas, NV

We have received letters and tried to make a small monthly payment that they will not accept as they require a larger monthly sum.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Scott E. Chapman

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, they can pursue you in NV. I would contact a local estate planning attorney in Las Vegas to see how to deal with asset protection. As well, you might want to contact the Board and negtiate a payment plan. That will usually get them off your back.

    The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical, legal and... more
  2. M. Robert Perez III

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) has been very aggressive in pursuing any back taxes owed to them. If you have any funds in a bank that has a branch anywhere in California, be careful - you may soon find that a tax levy has wiped out your account balance.

    If they cannot reach your assets that way, they may obtain a tax lien judgment against you, and try to get a court in Nevada to domesticate the order and enforce it there.

    It would be in your best interest to consult with a tax attorney.

    These answers are provided for educational purposes only, and should not be construed to be either formal legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,545 answers this week

3,295 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,545 answers this week

3,295 attorneys answering