Skip to main content

We made a mistake.

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Divorce

Our divorce was finalized yesterday, we both regret it, what do we do? Is there a grace period for changing your mind? We are both so sad.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This is very unusual but it can be done. Go to the clerk of the circuit court where your divorce was heard and file a Notice and Motion to Vacate your Judgment. Do it ASAP and certainly no later than 30 days from yesterday. Both of you must appear in court on the designated day and tell the judge you wish to vacate your Judgment for Dissolution. If you do not wish to proceed with the divorce at all, whoever filed the original Petition for Dissolution should also ask to withdraw it. Then your case will be closed Problem fixed.

It seems to me you asked about this yesterday, before you went to court. You should have followed the suggestions of the attorneys then. However, the good news is you can fix this. Just please realize that this is a serious matter and court proceedings should be thought out carefully before filing and before proceeding. Best wishes to you.


Are you both sure that you should not have gotten a divorce? In Illinois the divorce is final as soon as it is signed by the Judge. A brief period of couples counselling before making a move may be a good idea. If after the counseling the two of you want to be married to each other; go to priceline for tickets to Las Vegas and get married again. If you want to discuss the effects of the remarriage on the property division call my assistant Dan London at 312-8207-3990 to set up a private telephone consultation. At the consultation we can discuss the confidential details we need to offer constructive advice towards strategic plan. These details should not be broadcast over the Internet.

This is a general answer and does not address the specifics of your individual case. To give the specific answer you need our firm needs you to come in for a consultation.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz


This is not the proper thing to do because of the marital estate.


Follow Ms. Goldstein's advice. DO NOT DO WHAT THE OTHER ATTORNEY RECOMMENDED. That could really be a disaster because of your marital estate.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer