We just purchased a house and sellers are liquidating items that were part of our contract. What are our rights?

Asked 7 months ago - North Hollywood, CA

We just bought a house and have just learned that the sellers have sold several items that were listed in the sales contract including appliances and yard features. We have already closed escrow, how should we proceed since they have broken our contract?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Justin Drayton Graham

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Sue for breach of contract and conversion of personal property.

  2. John David Laurie


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . One would need to read the contract but without doing so i can make these suggestions. If there was money held back in escrow then you can make a claim in escrow. If not you can ask them to replace these items. When you say you closed escrow did yo not take posession of the property? A letter from an attorney may pursuade them to pay. You may be required to go to mediation or arbitration depending upon your contract. We along with alot of other attorneys will give free consultations so you may want to seek an attorney to review the contract.

    John D. Lauire
    Gertzand laurie
    Tarzana Ca

  3. Sagar P. Parikh

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can sue for breach of contract.

    I'm a real estate broker as well as a real estate attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,292 answers this week

2,800 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,292 answers this week

2,800 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary