We inherited an old deed to a property in OK. The deed says 1931 & has papers back to 1866. How do we know if its still good?

Ventura, CA |

We don't have any other documents pertaining to it after 1931. How do we find out if it was sold or if we own it still? On google maps it seems there is a house and it looks occupied.

1. Contact a title company in OK and request a complimentary "property profile". This report, although informal, will tell you whether the property was conveyed after the 1931 deed was executed. I would also repost this in the OK forum. Each state has different laws about title superiority. In this case, I presume your deed was not recorded. That may or may not affect your title claim. You should also look into conferring with a real estate attorney in OK. Good luck!

This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for educational purposes only. To schedule an appointment for an attorney-client privileged consultation, contact me at 530-231-4949 or visit our website at www.lowenthallawoffice.com. The exchange of communications through Avvo.com and similar social media does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my office. Thank you.

2. I agree with Mr. Lowenthal - you will need to obtain a title search to see if the 1931 deed accurately reflects the current state of ownership.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Wills and estates topics