We have not lived together for over twenty years, no property of child support issues. She lives in NJ, me in NY

Asked over 1 year ago - Warwick, NY

In what state do I go about geting a divorce?

1. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

6

Answered . How long have you been living in NY? If it is more than two years, you can file in NY. If it is less than two years, much more information is necessary to answer your question.

2. Daniel Yaniv

Pro

5

Answered . If you meet the NY residency requirements you may file in either NY or NJ. The benefit of filing in NY is that you can avoid court appearances if both you and your spouse can agree to an uncontested divorce. Feel free to contacts our offices for a free consultation. (800) 518-0211. www.uncontesteddivorceny.com.

3. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

5

Answered . If the residency requirements are met by you, you can file in NY or if she meets the residency requirements in NJ she can file there.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.