We have bulgary in our apparent and we have insurance in Allstate .Now during the claim Allstate wants from us authorization

Brooklyn, NY |

They want check our credit history , salary , employment record, income tax, everything .They say this is regular check.I want ask why they want to do this we are victims not criminals.Do I have to give them this autorization?

They suspect fraud. Have you made claims before? Next they may ask you to submit to an EUO (Examination Under Oath - similiar to a deposition). You have a duty to cooperate pursuant to your policy. If you don't comply Allstate will deny your claim and your only choice will be to sue and then a Judge will decide whether you failed to cooperate. If the Judge finds you didn't cooperate then you will lose.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Your insurance policy is the contract that governs the parties' rights, so your best course of action is to hire your own insurance counsel to review your specific policy. They certainly do have the right o investigate your claim, and yes, your instincts are right, they're not sure if your claim is fraudulent, so there may have been something suspicious about it. Getting your own counsel will level the playing field.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Consult with an attorney who can check what they are up to - do this BEFORE responding to their request. Contact an attorney ASAP

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business