We have been separated for 6 years and i dont know where she is. Can i still get a divorce??? Can i do the fillings myself?

Seattle, WA |

we have no mutual property or kids..

You can't get a divorce without serving your spouse with the papers and giving her a chance to respond. You can ask the court for permission to serve her by mail at her last known address or by publication, but you have to show that you have exhausted all reasonable efforts to locate her, so start calling friends and family and try to track her down. (If you have the means, hiring a private investigator may be the easiest way.) You should consult with an attorney before you file anything--if it is not done properly, the court will not approve it.

Avvo answers are attorney opinions offered for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Use of the Avvo Q&A forum does not create any attorney-client relationship.

(1) Yes. (2) Yes.
(1) Service can be done by getting a court order allowing it to be done by mail or publication. Court permission will be given if you first send the process server to the last known address; the process server then will give you an affidavit of non-service. That's usually enough to get a court order allowing service by mail or publication.
(2) You can do it all yourself. You can also do brain surgery on yourself. But the procedures are complicated for both There are 1000 ways to mess it up the rules about legal service of the pleadings, let alone all the other procedural rules.
It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on divorce and service of process for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Recommended articles about Divorce