We have been separated for 6 years and i dont know where she is. Can i still get a divorce??? Can i do the fillings myself?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

we have no mutual property or kids..

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kate M Forrest

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can't get a divorce without serving your spouse with the papers and giving her a chance to respond. You can ask the court for permission to serve her by mail at her last known address or by publication, but you have to show that you have exhausted all reasonable efforts to locate her, so start calling friends and family and try to track her down. (If you have the means, hiring a private investigator may be the easiest way.) You should consult with an attorney before you file anything--if it is not done properly, the court will not approve it.

    Avvo answers are attorney opinions offered for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal... more
  2. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . (1) Yes. (2) Yes.
    (1) Service can be done by getting a court order allowing it to be done by mail or publication. Court permission will be given if you first send the process server to the last known address; the process server then will give you an affidavit of non-service. That's usually enough to get a court order allowing service by mail or publication.
    (2) You can do it all yourself. You can also do brain surgery on yourself. But the procedures are complicated for both There are 1000 ways to mess it up the rules about legal service of the pleadings, let alone all the other procedural rules.
    It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on divorce and service of process for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Uncontested divorce

An uncontested divorce is one in which spouses agree on relevant issues such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,749 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,749 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering