We have a writ of possession to a com. property. The tenant filed bankruptcy 2 days prior to lockout.Can we proceed with lockout

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Tenant filed bankruptcy 2 days prior to lockout. Can we proceed with lockout or do we have to go through bankruptcy court? We have writ of possession.

Do we still have to get relief from stay even though we already have the writ of possession, I was reading the Department of Consumer Affairs (CA) website states that if the writ of possession has been given, we can proceed with the lockout....Thanks in Advance

1. Brad S Kane

Pro

6

1

Answered . You must seek relief from the automatic bankruptcy stay or other approval before proceeding. Otherwise, you could face very serious sanctions from the bankruptcy court.

I will edit the practice area, so you can hear more specifics from bankruptcy lawyers.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

6

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Kane. You need to seek relief from stay, despite your judgment for possession, because the tenancy is in commercial real property.

3. Michael Avanesian

Pro

2

1

Answered . I agree. It's so easy to sue people for not obtaining relief from stay. That's why, a big bank, even when entitled to relief automatically still double checks with the court by filing a motion. You don't want to risk it!