We have a Real Estate family partnership. For giving gifts to our children for Estate planning,what discount% we can use ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pittsford, NY

We have established,through a Professional appraisal,our equity. We have two classes of shares ,Voting(25%) & Non voting (75%). My wife & I have the voting . What discount can be applied for : Minority Interest; Lack of Marketability Discount(LOMD) & Non Voting discount.
We are thinking,based on all the cases & other guidelines, a combined discount of 50%.
What is your advice?

1. James P. Frederick

5

1

Answered . There is an expression in legal fields that "pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered." I, too, have heard of people taking 50% valuation discounts. I think that is an aggressive posture and you might be asking for an audit. You have a fairly complex arrangement, here, and it does not make sense to do this without consulting a tax attorney to make sure that you handle everything correctly.

James Frederick

2. Amanda Marie Cook

5

Answered . You should have an appraisal done for both the value and the discounting. I often recommend having the appraisal done every other December so that you can use it December and January.