We have a man who was mowing our property in exchange for living quarters he now wants to be paid to mow an will not leave

Asked about 1 year ago - Nacogdoches, TX

he also stays drunk!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Mark Allen Land

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to have him evicted. You can do that through your local justice of the peace. There is a link below to the Nacogdoches County J.P.'s. You will have to figure out in which precinct you live.

    I have also attached a link to the Williamson County page that includes forms and other useful information on "Forcible Entry & Detainer cases (evictions). That is NOT your county, but the law is the same statewide.

    You can also consider hiring a lawyer to assist you. Good luck.

  2. Kevin Matthew Koel

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sounds like you have an oral lease. In order to evict, you must first give a 30-day notice to terminate the lease. If he does not leave in 30 days, you need to give him a 3-day notice to vacate. If he still does not leave, then you can file suit for eviction. However, his refusal to perform as originally agreed could be considered a default of your oral lease, which means you get to move straight to the 3-day notice to vacate.

    If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for... more
  3. Keith G Langer


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Which is to say, you have an undesirable tenant who almost certainly has no written lease. You will need to follow the proper eviction procedure; notice, etc., to avoid complicating what is already an unpleasant situation.

    The TX and your county bar associations can give you referrals to landlord/tenant attorneys.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Margaret Mitchell

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Be sure to document the condition of the property before you serve him with an eviction notice. An upset, angry drunk can do a lot of damage.
    The local jp courts are often very helpful, but if it gets ugly you might want to have a lawyer on board. If he does damage your property be sure to either file an insurance claim (if you have coverage under this situation) or document it for a casualty loss on your taxes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,503 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,503 answers this week

3,471 attorneys answering