We have a homeowner that has never paid HOA dues. We have filed liens every year on the property. Can we do anything else?

Fairburn, GA |

What are our options to force the homeowner to pay?

If the liens are valid - all legal requirements of notice, drafting, timely filing, etc. complied with - file suit to foreclose them and take ownership of the property, subject to any prior mortgage which the HOA would then have to service to itself prevent loss of the property. Give notice of the suit to the first lienholder, if any, as your liens probably constitute an event of default under the mortgage provisions and jeopardizes loss of ownership.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-668-3790 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at don@HawbakerLaw.) An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated my Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

As a practical matter, the threat of a suit to foreclose on your liens should be enough to work out some sort of payment plan/resolution. If they won't budge, you will have to do a cost/benefit analysis to determine whether an ongoing legal action would be favorable to the HOA/Community. At that point, you'd want to consult an experienced attorney for advice/representation.

**Was this Answer helpful? Please click to give the Answer a Helpful Vote or make it the Best Answer! ***This Reply is intended to be helpful to the Asker and the Avvo Community, but it does not constitute legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship. The Asker of the Question is urged to seek the advice of a professional in the area in question before taking any action.

Recommended articles about Real estate