We entered into a suit in 2010 but now feeling like the atty's follow thru hasn't been the best. Can we seek new counsel?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oakland, CA

This for employment wages for 3 people & one also was Project Mgr and purchased most supplies and not compensated. The project was for a college in the area in which extensive technical work was done. Proof can be provided but they have now filed bankruptcy. However there is a bond with the college. The last communication we had with our atty. , he was going to contact the college. Have tried to contact the atty by email & phone with no response. Pls advise.

1. Neil Pedersen

6

Answered . You always have the right to change counsel. If your prior attorney was working on a contingency basis, you should not have to pay another large percentage to the new attorney, but instead the new attorney and the old attorney need to work it out between them. Your old attorney is required to turn over your files upon your request.

If your old attorney refuses to cooperate in the change over, you can report him or her to the State Bar.

Good luck to you.

2. Haig B Kazandjian

Pro

6

Answered . Absolutely. An attorney has a legal and ethical obligation to zealously pursue all meritorious claims on behalf of his or her client. Your attorney should also return your phone calls and answer your questions regarding your case. Based on the information you have provided, it seems that your lawyer isn't living up to this standard. That said, I agree with my fellow attorneys on this one. Seek new counsel immediately. It is your right to do so, and probably in your best interest.

3. Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Pro

5

Answered . I'm very sorry to read that your attorney has acted this way. You are always entitled to change attorneys at any time, but finding an attorney that will take it when the defendant is in bankruptcy is difficult. Start looking for a new lawyer; one way of finding one would be to contact the Lawyer's Referral Service in Alameda County at 510-302-2222.