We do not need anything from each others retirement accounts - IRAs, 401ks. Do we need to document the same in the divorce docs?

Round Rock, TX |

It is an uncontested divorce. We have made sure that each one of us has a house to live in with basic needs. No kids. Both are working and on good terms and able to pay our bills. Do I have to list the IRA, 401k accounts in spite of not contesting and not splitting it?

1. This should be posted under divorce

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

2. If you agree for each of you to keep their "own" retirement accounts, you should say so in your decree.

3. It is a good idea to specifically state each as separate assets of the individual spouse who controls the account. It is not required but it will avoid future potential problems.

4. I recommend being as specific as you can to describe the particular accounts you are awarding, including the last 3 or 4 numbers of the account number. Some administrators can prove to be difficult later on if just a general award is made.

24 years in Family Law and Criminal Defense. 713-627-0010 Nights/Wknds OK