Skip to main content

We bought a house at a trustee sale. When we recorded the deed, we added another person's name to it. How can we remove a name?

Phoenix, AZ |

we bought a house at a trustee sale. When we recorded the deed, we added my husband step mom to the deed. How can we remove her now from the deed? We want to do it before we refinance our home. Thank you

Attorney Answers 2


Generally speaking, your husband's step mom now has an ownership interest in the property. Therefore, the simplest step is to have her execute a quitclaim deed in favor of you and your husband. An Arizona attorney can definitely assist you with this, and the cost should be small.

Accessing this website or receiving an electronic transmission from Nagle Law Group, P.C., or any specific attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C., does not create an attorney-client relationship or any other duty on the part of Nagle Law Group, P.C. An attorney-client relationship is only created upon an express agreement with an attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Mr. Nagel is certainly correct and a quit claim deed works so long as your husband's step mother is willing to sign the deed. If she is not willing to sign the deed, then a whole new set of issues comes up.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am licensed in Arizona and can only provide general comments on matters outside of Arizona law. Actual legal advice can only be provided after a direct consultation in which all of the relevant facts are considered before providing a response.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment

Brandon Kavanagh

Brandon Kavanagh


Sorry about misspelling Nagle.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics