WE ARE US CITIZEN.OUR SON IS PERMANENT RESIDENT.HE WAS 15 YEARS OLD.WE WANT TO APPLY CITIZENSHIP FOR HIM.HOW WE CAN DO THAT.

Woodland, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN THE PROCESS.

When did you and your spouse become U.S. citizens?

More information is needed to answer this question. If your son is still under 18 and he was in your custody when you or your husband became citizens he may have automatically become a U.S. citizen. Contact and immigration attorney to help you file for his U.S. passport and certificate of citizenship.

Gabriela M. Lopez, Esq.
www.landerholmlawoffice.com

I agree with my colleagues. You need to consult with an attorney to determine if your son automatically obtained citizenship upon your naturalizations.

Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

First, apply for a passport. Then, file form N-600.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

If your son is currently a minor (under 18) and was in your custody when you naturalized he may have already become a citizen automatically. You should consult with an immigration attorney who can figure out if this was the case.