We are US citizen . We became US citizen on October 2010 . Our son is 15 years right now . we want to apply citizen for him .

Asked almost 2 years ago - Woodland, CA

what process do we need to follow .Do we need to file N-400 for him.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I believe this is a duplicate question.

    Depending on how old your son was when you became citizens (and whether you had custody of him at the time) he may have automatically been granted citizenship and you would now need to apply for a passport and certificate of citizenship.

    You should consult the other answers that were provided to you on your initial post.

  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, no N-400. Given that your son is still minor when either one of this parents became citizen, he is deemed to have automatically become a citizen himself, assuming he was already here on a green card, just like his parents before.

    You thus need to file Form N-600 Certificate of Citizenship on his behalf.

    I strongly also recommend that independently of the N-600 you take your son to the nearest US passport office and file for a US passport (even before you file for the N-600). You will see, he will get it! But also file for the n-600.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What needs to be done depends on whether he had a green card when you became US citizens.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Does he have a greencard? Is he in the US? If yes to both questions, he is already a citizen

Related Topics

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,831 answers this week

2,568 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,831 answers this week

2,568 attorneys answering