Skip to main content

We are there any law that after certain period of time we will considered single again?

Olympia, WA |

We were married in WA state and we are still married and last year filed married jointly, but I have moved to another state..spouse is still in WA there any law that if we are separated for like a year or 5 years...or any length of time...we will considered divorced?

Also if any one of us have an affair ...are there any legal consequences ...cheating spouse has to pay something money or otherwise?

Attorney Answers 3


No. If you never filed a Petition for legal separation, then you are still married regardless of whether you do not live together. However, this only applies in Wa. state, if you choose to live on another state, the same laws do not apply.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


If you want to be divorced you must file for divorce and be granted a divorce by a judge. There is no law that saws living apart will result in a divorce. Having an affair may impact the divorce so go consult with a local divorce attorney.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I cannot tell if your question is a federal tax filing status question and a legal status question or simply a legal status question. For federal tax purposes your filing status depends on whether or not you are legally married on December 31st of that year. Even if you are married, you can file separately and if you were living separate from each other for more than 6 months and have a qualifying child you may be able to file as head of household which usually is a favorable tax status.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics