Skip to main content

We are going for our first child support hearing. Any help would be appreciated!

Rochelle, IL |

My boyfriend and his ex have been separated for around 2 years now. She is finally taking him to child support court. He has always paid and we have a paper trail of every payment we make. He pays around $600 a month for his daughter. We drive 1,400 miles every other weekend to see her, and we get her sometimes for weeks at a time. I know we should have gone to court a long time ago, but now we are, so better late than never. When she is here with us, she goes to preschool as well. We are just curious to know what is going to happen in court. We want to be prepared for this as best as we can be. We would love to have his daughter more, so do we need to go to a separate court date for that? Any help we would greatly appreciate! Please!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is lot riding on this. In truth using the skills of an attorney in the singe best way to save money in the long run.

Hire an attorney now. Later, you will find out just how much money you lost out because you tried to go it alone

I say this from long experience


Your boyfriend really should hire an attorney to assist. There is a great deal at stake when child support is litigated, especially if he paid voluntarily without a court order as this could be construed as gifts rather than support if he is not represented by experienced counsel. While you are in court, make sure there is a parenting agreement put into place, as well as a visitation schedule. Hire a lawyer to get this done the best way possible. There are many great lawyers in your area. If you don't know any, click on the Find a Lawyer link at the top of this page. Consult with several and hire the one you like the best. Keep in mid that this is your boyfriend's case, and not yours. You are not a party to this action despite your personal involvement. Best wishes to all.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.


These facts are sketchy. Why isn't he going for custody? I think you need to consult and hire a family law attorney fast. Do not go to a hearing without a lawyer. It could be a terrible mistake. Driving 1400 miles is a lot. If she is with you guys for long periods of time there must be facts to reflect the reasons. Lawyer up!

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer