We are awaiting approval for the I-130, but my visa is expiring soon. What can we do so we aren't separated?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I am an American citizen and my husband is a foreign citizen. We received the acceptance notice for our I-130 and were shocked that it takes an average of 5 months to approve. When we researched and read that "visas are automatically available to spouses," we did not expect that to mean 5 months. The problem is my visa will expire, and I have no work abroad. Therefore, I must return home. On top of that, we cannot afford to have my husband out of work in America and just wait for the form to be approved. But from the research I have done, the option is that we can be together, either in America or abroad, but one of us will be unable to look for work. What are our options?

1. Robert West

9

Answered . Obviously, your research was inadequate. Maybe you should talk with a lawyer in your town BEFORE you do anything else.

2. Curtis Frederic Pierce

8

Answered . Not sure how your husband entered the US. If he entered legally, he can probably apply for Adjustment of Status (form I-485) and employment authorization (form I-765). This is if you are currently in the US. It's also not clear where you are when you say "I must return home."

This makes me think you may be abroad.

Curtis Pierce
    213 327 0044
    www.cpvisa.com

3. Michael Archuleta II

7

Best Answer

Answered . I suggest you set up a consultation with an Immigration attorney who can look at all your paperwork and the individual facts of your case. This is particularly true given that your visa is going to expire.

4. Daniel Warren Thomann

8

1

Answered . A spousal K-3 visa would allow him to come to the US while waiting and obtain work authorization as well. It's not the fastest process, but it may help in your situation. I've attached a link to the State Department page on K visas. I suggest using an attorney to avoid delays.

5. Neil Ian Fleischer

7

1

Answered . There seems to be a very simple solution for you. FIle for adjustment of status assuming he entered legally on a visa.

For more info see link elow and contact us for help

6. Daniel Shanfield

Pro

4

Answered . It sounds like the packet might have been prepared incorrectly. With a US citizen spouse petitioner, the immigrant can apply for a green card, work permit, and advance parole travel document simultaneously here in the United States, and in general, not have to depart the United States. I would consult with an immigration lawyer immediately to get this fixed.