Skip to main content

Water main flood damage in city of Lockport.

Lockport, IL |

A water main broke outside my house and caused a whole lot of damage to the house. My homeowners insurance will not cover. The contract says it does not cover this. I spoke to someone from the city and they said they are immune from being sued. I need to get my house repaired but need money. Are they really immune? That seems crazy to me.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Do you own this home or are you renting it? If your Homeowner's insurance does not cover this, you probably do not have much recourse. The City does have immunity for many things and assuming this was based on negligence of some kind (the city worker's doing something incorrectly), you probably will not recover from the City. You should speak with an attorney in more detail about this to get a more thorough answer.

    This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics