Water at daughter's rental house is on private well. Water turned brown and smells like sewer. Landlord says buy bottled water.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Scottsdale, AZ

Cannot use water for washing, bathing or drinking. Landlord says it is a well, so nothing he will do. Water has been making daughter very ill. She has withheld payment for this month rent and notified him of problem. He has told her to move by Friday. She may have serious medical condition because of the water. What do we do. She has no money for deposits to move at this time.

1. Anne Brady

3

Answered . Under the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act, there is material noncompliance by this landlord with the rental agreement affecting health and safety (ARS 33-1361) . If she has not already, your daughter needs to make the landlord aware of this in writing. She should state that unless he repairs the situation within 5 days, the rental agreement will terminate. Your daughter additionally may recover damages. The landlord also is required to return her security deposit upon termination.

With respect to the five-day notice from the landlord, your daughter is entitled to a hearing on the landlord's forcible detainer action. She should notify the landlord in writing about the problem as outlined above prior to the hearing and be prepared to argue her case before the justice court judge.

2. Steven Roger Rensch

Pro

1

Answered . All the answers to this point are good ones. All I want to add is that you should under no circumstances go to the eviction hearing unrepresented. The reason is that Arizona Justice Court judges are a problem for tenants. They have listened to whining, irrational tenants forever, so their initial assumption will be that you're the same. Also, they have not been trained in the law and the little law they think they "know" has come from the landlord attorneys they see every week. See a lawyer.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

2

Answered . In every lease there is an implied warranty of habitability, which requires a landlord to ensure the health and safety of his tenants. Things like electricity, water, working heat or air conditioning are things typically included in this covenant of habitability.

Thus, your landlord has an obligation that your daughter has useable, potable water. In some states you can withhold rent until the landlord makes repairs. In other states, you can file a rent escrow action where a court will require the landlord to make the repairs. Information on what Arizona requires can be found here:

http://www.arizonatenants.com/rentcycle.htm

Look at Section number 3, which details that a landlord must provide essential services.

If your daughter has a lease, then your landlord cannot arbitrarily require her to up and move, either. Certain notice has to be given. At the very least, in a month to month tenancy your daughter would have 30 days.

Consult a local landlord/tenant attorney for guidance on how to handle this situation.

4. William N. Chambers

1

Answered . Excellent advice from Attorney Peeples. I echo the advice to find a Landlord Tenant lawyer IMMEDIATELY!

5. Dave Bahr

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, drinking water is a fundamental aspect of living in a rental unit. However, withholding rent is not a good response in that it provides the landlord with a basis to evict. You should talk to a lawyer right away. Good luck.