Washington State - Criminal Misdemeanor - Deferred Sentence - Need to vacate?

Asked over 2 years ago - Bellevue, WA

Back in June 2007, in Washington state, I plead guilty to Theft 3rd degree (shoplifting). In August 2007, I received a 12 months deferred sentence. I complied with all conditions of the sentencing. I looked at the court records today. On August 2008, my case was reviewed by a judge and dismissed. Does that mean I do not have a conviction anymore? Or should I still file a motion to vacate the conviction? In my case, there was a 3 year waiting period before you can bring the motion to vacate, and I qualify to vacate otherwise.
Thank you!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your received a deferred sentence and the case was eventually dismissed, there is no way to delete that from your record. You legally can answer that you have never been convicted of a crime, even though the cahrge will likely appear on a background check.

    There is no need to try and vacate anything, since the case already is a dismissal. Vacating a conviction only allows a prior conviction to appear on your record as a dismissal. From what you stated, it already shows that way.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,348 answers this week

3,561 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,348 answers this week

3,561 attorneys answering