Washington- Does WAC 284-30-391 "Methods and standards of practice for settlement of total loss..." apply to 3rd party claims?

Woodland, WA |

Farmers insurance is claiming that "WAC 284-30-391 Methods and standards of practice for settlement of total loss vehicle claims" doesn't apply to 3rd party claims. Is there anything to support this claim? Details are at

Clearly, violation of this WAC cannot be used to support a claim against a third party insurer under IFCA: That is one of the major reasons I recommend my clients use their first party coverage (if available) to settle their property damage claims. I am assuming you don't have first party coverage. It looks like the third party insurer has decided there is comparative fault, and in my opinion WAC 284-30-391 probably won't be effective as a tool to get the insurer to give up their right to defend their insured's driving (liability). I strongly recommend you consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction to discuss these issues as soon as possible.

Thanks so much.

Richard James Milham

Richard James Milham

You are welcome!

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes