Was this a legal search or did the police need a warrant?

Las Vegas, NV |

A friend and an accomplice had committed some burglaries and then stole a vehicle in Nebraska. They were eventually caught and arrested in Vegas. In the car the police found a box that had been addressed to the accomplice. They seized it without a warrant. I am not sure what was inside the box. In general, was this allowed or did they need a warrant to take the box and look through it? My friend and his accomplice have lawyers but they are not allowed to talk to me so I am curious about this.

I changed a few details before I submitted so it's not the exact place or facts. No privacy issues :)

1. If they were legally arrested then the search is proper.

2. Its probably best not to post your friends facts on this website, unless you are interested in helping the prosecutor convict them. This is a public web site and its probably not to difficult for the prosecutor to figure out who your talking about since she/he probably doesn't have more than one case with a stolen vehicle driven across state lines. The search is lawful and routine. " Curiosity killed the cat".

3. If they were lawfully arrested, the "inventory"search of the car was legal. It is certainly cause for a motion, but doubtful it would be granted/

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia