Was this a legal search or did the police need a warrant?

Asked about 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

A friend and an accomplice had committed some burglaries and then stole a vehicle in Nebraska. They were eventually caught and arrested in Vegas. In the car the police found a box that had been addressed to the accomplice. They seized it without a warrant. I am not sure what was inside the box. In general, was this allowed or did they need a warrant to take the box and look through it? My friend and his accomplice have lawyers but they are not allowed to talk to me so I am curious about this.

I changed a few details before I submitted so it's not the exact place or facts. No privacy issues :)

1. William Berry Palmer

4

Answered . If they were legally arrested then the search is proper.

2. Kathryn Mary Holton

1

Answered . Its probably best not to post your friends facts on this website, unless you are interested in helping the prosecutor convict them. This is a public web site and its probably not to difficult for the prosecutor to figure out who your talking about since she/he probably doesn't have more than one case with a stolen vehicle driven across state lines. The search is lawful and routine. " Curiosity killed the cat".

3. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

Answered . If they were lawfully arrested, the "inventory"search of the car was legal. It is certainly cause for a motion, but doubtful it would be granted/