Skip to main content

Was the defendant served with lawful process of the summons and the complaint

Los Angeles, CA |

Defendants was served at their office and the front desk clerk accepted service of the summons and the complaint. Defendants appeared in court without an attorney to reprresent them and was told by the judge to obtain legal representation, 30 days later I entered default against them. Now they are saying the person who accepted the papers was not authorized to accept service on their behalf and are seeking to set aside the Default. Although the defendants appeared in court, can they now claim the service was to someone unauthorized to accept on their behalf?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


"Although the defendants appeared in court, can they now claim the service was to someone unauthorized to accept on their behalf?" -- Yes. It appears that is just what they have done. Whether the judge will set aside their default depends on facts you have not stated. You need to oppose the defendants' motion with appropriate legal authority and facts if you do not want the defendants to prevail on the motion.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


You would probably find it helpful to contact a litigation attorney to review your situation. There are numerous facts that should be evaluated to determine the strength of any opposition motion to defendant's motion to set aside a "void" judgment.

Regarding service of process: some factors that would be considered are whether you are suing an individual or entity defendant. Whether you effected personal or substitute service. You need to explore the law dealing with authorized agents for service of summons.

Regarding general appearance: A general appearance by a party is equivalent to receiving service of summons. More facts are needed to know whether the defendant's appearance in court amounted to a general appearance and a recognition of the court's personal jurisdiction over the matter.

No attorney-client relationship is created through the exchange of information on The information provided by Jacob Regar is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. You must not rely on the information on this website (including Jacob Regar's response to your question). Do not use Jacob Regar's answer as an alternative to legal advice from your attorney. If you have any specific questions about any legal matter you should consult your attorney. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on this website. This website contains general information about legal matters. The legal information on this website is provided "as is" without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Jacob Regar and Jacob Regar Law make no representations or warranties in relation to the legal information on this website.

Jacob Adam Regar

Jacob Adam Regar


*Edit: In the last paragraph, I meant personal jurisdiction over the (defendant).


You need to provide more facts in order to ascertain whether or not the defendants were properly sub-served. You also need to clarify what you mean by appear in court: just physical presence in court, or by filing an Answer? Did you effectuate the service or a third party? Did the server then mail a copy of the summons and complaint to the same address that the sub-service was made? If not, then the defendants can rightfully assert that they were not properly served.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer