Was my vehicle repossess illegally.

Portland, OR |

I am a licensed auto dealer in Oregon . I have have a flooring line with a company names DISC . today they repossessed one of my units I am using as a demo . The vehicle was taken from the parking lot of another company I am part owner in . My account has fallen behind due to some banking issues and have been proactive with the Flooring company so we can get my account current . There have been several inconsistencies in their correspondence through this and I went to testing and email as much as possible so I have a paper trail of the communications . A couple of the misleading communications are : 1 ) no notice they were going to repossess this vehicle written or verbal 2 ) they are holding three of my vehicles I own outright as collateral even after they said they do not take collateral .

1. The answer to your question will be determined by the contracts you signed. You should immediately consult with an attorney who handles business bankruptcy. S/he will either be able to assist you in a "workout" or handle a chapter 11 reorganization bankruptcy. Good luck.

The answer given is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Dwight Bowen is a bankruptcy and consumer attorney and may be contacted at (404) 880-3310.

2. In addition to, to as an alternative to, Mr. Bowen's suggestion, I would suggest that you consult with a general business attorney. While Chap. 11 Bankruptcy may be appropriate to consider, you may very well have other claims available immediately.

One step that you might consider immediately is a written communication to all parties involved which states that any and all actions taken are under protest and that they should maintain status quo until the courts can sort this out. Of course, it is better if this letter comes on the letterhead of your attorney.

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature. In accordance with IRS regulations, I must inform you that any US tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under federal tax law. By regulation, a taxpayer cannot rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties unless that advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to strict requirements.

3. The answer depends on the security agreement and contract you signed. You were probably in default. However, the question is whether they complied with the security agreement. Also.,did they do a proper sale of the collateral after forclosure. Another issue is whether they have satified the debt based on their holding other vehicles as collateral. These are fact specific cases.