Skip to main content

Was my son neglected? He passed away at age 26.

Alabaster, AL |

My son was HIV POSITIVE and I took him to a local hospital here in Alabama. He was vomitting so they said they believed taking his gallbladder out would fix the problem. They took his gallbladder out and his liver and kidneys failed the next day. They did another test and said he had a micro bacteria in his bone marrow that was attacking him. He was walking and sitting up until they decided to take out his gall bladder. he would bleed from his nose so bad I would have to come and clean him up. he developed a bed sore after i replied he needed a air matress which he never received. He was in so much pain they had to cut away the rotton flesh which left a gapping hole. They didn't give him hiv anti viral drugs until much later hoping he would get better to go to the UAB in Birmingham.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Im so sorry for your loss. I would suggest getting copies of your son's medical records and bring them to a local medical malpractice attorney to review and advise you accordingly. Unfortunately, medical malpractice cases are generally difficult to prove and costly to take to trial. Best of luck.

    The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

  2. Respectfully, please consider consulting with an attorney in your area.

  3. I am not licensed in AL but it certainly sounds like your so. Was medically complex. I am sorry for your loss and pray for comfort for your family. However, I doubt from what you said that an expert could relate your sons death to the care or lack of care you have described but there is another kind of action that could be considered. If your son was neglected or if the surgery hastened his passing and made him uncomfortable a survival action can be considered. Call a local lawyer to see if this is possible under AL law.

  4. I'm sorry to hear about this, but the only way you can know is to have a local med mal lawyer order his records to review.

Medical malpractice topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics