Was my right to freedom of speech infringed upon?

Huntington, WV |

I go to a public high school at Man, WV. The school had a competition between classes during homecoming week. My class won. The principal said that we could not a have a trophy ceremony on the field during the football game. I went to the game planning on having a trophy presentation of my own accord in the bleachers of a public high school football stadium. I was told that if I did, then I would be suspended. Since the public school is owned by the government and seeing as I was doing something not illegal in anyway and on public property, although against the principal's wishes, was my freedom of speech infringed upon?

1. Your rights to free speech at school is not unlimited or absolute. Your access to the school for a recreational event (non-educational purposes) is subject to time, place and manner restrictions. You can raise a legal challenge to individual decisions by the school administration, but those are generally brought before the event. It is always an uphill battle to persuade a court to overrule a school's limitations on student conduct, but it can be done and some very significant court decisions have come out of such factual circumstances.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.