Was my car wrongly towed according to California Vehicle Code 22568?

Asked about 2 years ago - Santa Ana, CA

I was towed from a parking lot in an apartment complex. I acknowledge that I was not allowed to park in the particular spot and I paid the fee of $287 to get my car back. However, I noticed that according to California Vehicle Code 22568, it states that the written authorization must include (ii) The name, signature, job title, residential or business address and working telephone number of the person, described in subparagraph (A), authorizing the removal of the vehicle. I requested a written copy of the authorization and it only lists the property that I was towed from and does not contain the rest of the information listed above. Was my car wrongfully towed and if so can I get my money back?

1. Janice Rourke Hugener

Answered . Technically, the towing company appears to have violated section 22568(l)(B)(ii) so, given the amount in dispute, you probably have standing to pursue reimbursement of the $287 from the towing company in small claims court. However, your argument could be viewed by the judge as being hypertechnical since you admit that the tow was otherwise justified.