Skip to main content

Was married less than a year,dont know where ex is since 1997,want to remarry, I live in NC. what can I do?

Raleigh, NC |

ive tried to find my ex, I have no idea where he is, didn't know any of his family members since he is from another country, I want to remarry in another state..what can I do?? I have no money for a lawyer.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. I understand that you do not have any money for a lawyer; however, some attorneys in your area offer free or low cost consultations. At the consultation, you will receive detailed information on how you should proceed with your legal matter. As such, I recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal matter. Nonetheless, I will provide you with a basic outline of the divorce process to assist you with getting started.

    NC is a no-fault divorce state. A party is entitled to receive a divorce if (a) either party is a resident of the state for a minimum of six months prior to filing the action and (b) the parties have lived separate and apart for a minimum of one year. If both requirements are satisfied, you will receive a divorce in the state of NC. The issue in which you may encounter is serving a copy of the complaint on your husband. There are different acceptable methods of service in NC. If you are unable to locate your husband, you will have to make a showing to the court that you have performed a diligent search to find your husband. A diligent search may include facebook, myspace, linkedin, people search, etc. After you make a good faith documented effort to search for your husband, then you can place an ad in the newspaper to satisfy the service requirements.

    Service by publication can be tricky. As such, I encourage you to speak with a local attorney to assist you with your legal matter.

  2. Ms. Smith has laid matters out well for you. Read it again, carefully. Then one more time.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics