Was married less than a year,dont know where ex is since 1997,want to remarry, I live in NC. what can I do?

Raleigh, NC |

ive tried to find my ex, I have no idea where he is, didn't know any of his family members since he is from another country, I want to remarry in another state..what can I do?? I have no money for a lawyer.

I understand that you do not have any money for a lawyer; however, some attorneys in your area offer free or low cost consultations. At the consultation, you will receive detailed information on how you should proceed with your legal matter. As such, I recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal matter. Nonetheless, I will provide you with a basic outline of the divorce process to assist you with getting started.

NC is a no-fault divorce state. A party is entitled to receive a divorce if (a) either party is a resident of the state for a minimum of six months prior to filing the action and (b) the parties have lived separate and apart for a minimum of one year. If both requirements are satisfied, you will receive a divorce in the state of NC. The issue in which you may encounter is serving a copy of the complaint on your husband. There are different acceptable methods of service in NC. If you are unable to locate your husband, you will have to make a showing to the court that you have performed a diligent search to find your husband. A diligent search may include facebook, myspace, linkedin, people search, etc. After you make a good faith documented effort to search for your husband, then you can place an ad in the newspaper to satisfy the service requirements.

Service by publication can be tricky. As such, I encourage you to speak with a local attorney to assist you with your legal matter.

thank you so much!, beleive it or not while sitting here waiting for your reply, I did another facebook search, found a profile he created in 2011, last updated in 2011, he went back to jamaica, there is no forwarding information. what can I do?

Katrina Louise Smith

Katrina Louise Smith

You are certainly welcome. I would encourage you to continue your internet search. Do not give up because you receive an inactive profile because you have to show documented evidence to the court that you performed a diligent search. I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to take advantage of the free/low cost consultations offered in your area.

I will contact a lawyer thank you, I have been looking for many years, all over the country for any info I could find online, why this facebook profile shows up for the first time tonight when I never found it before is a mystery. I have no addresses or anything from my search, after 16 years of looking I dont know where else to look. thanks again for your help. im in raleigh do you offer low cost consultations in these matters?

Katrina Louise Smith

Katrina Louise Smith

You are certainly welcome. Yes, I am available to speak with you in detail about the specifics of your case. My contact information is contained on my profile.

thanks I will contact you soon. I found yet another profile just now, recently updated, he is in jamaica definitely.

Ms. Smith has laid matters out well for you. Read it again, carefully. Then one more time.

thank you

Kevin H. Pate

Kevin H. Pate

Certainly. Though I am not in NC, I wouldn't be here today if not for NC, so it will always be a special place to me..

Marriage and prenups topics