Was involved in consensual sexual relationship with my professor. Not sure if sex harassment applies

Memphis, TN |

I am 33, and he is 52. I was naive to the emotional tactics of narcissists. He sucked me in, spending lots of money and seducing me--which I found flattering from a respected teacher. We had a bad breakup recently, and I told him I was gonna file a grievance against him with the college, because student/ptofessor relationships are prohibited, current student or not. He threatened to file a harassment charge on me, saying he has FBI contacts he can use. I have phone records to disprove that claim--the contact was mutual. But he said hed use his influence as a professor, along with a sex tape we made to destroy my future. I feel exploited emotionally and sexually. I know hes shown the tape to his friends. Do I have any options?

It is not really clear what the harassment would be or how he would destroy your future, but he is obviously doing whatever he can to keep you from going forward, including committing extortion. It is up to you whether to go forward or not. If you do, he is likely to lose his job regardless of whatever claims he makes. He has every reason to destroy the sex tape, not disclose it, since it proves your allegations.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended as the practice of law in any jurisdiction in which I am not licensed. The answer does not constitute legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the information provided, and may be inaccurate in the context of additional facts that have not been provided. The questioner should be aware that I am only licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts of Minnesota. Accordingly, before taking any action or refraining from taking any action, the questioner should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in his or her jurisdiction.

The decision to file a grievance would be one you could make, although it is not clear why you would file one, if this relationship was mutual. Although if it has affected your status at the school, it would make sense. The overall issue and question is what are you trying to accomplish?

Legal Disclaimer – Nothing contained in this response creates an attorney-client relationship, all information is provided as informational ONLY. This is not legal advice and should not be relied on as such. If legal advice is your intention please contact V. Michael Kurtz directly. V. Michael Kurtz is not a specialist and does not claim to be a certified specialist by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education. I am not your attorney until retained and we have a contract and payment has been made.

It depends on your state laws, but as an attorney who has handled dozens of cases ail
Milan to yours in Texas, I think the real focus in your situation is not on the mutual consesnual sexual relationship (although the power structure clearly gives the professor all of the power over you) but should be on the fact that he invaded your privacy rights by showing a private sex video to his friends. That is wrong and most likely is illegal in TN as well. You should consult with a personal injury water in TN who handles invasion of privacy cases. Good luck. This guy is a predator.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/