Was hit by city bus and in hospital for 1 week what should I do?

Chicago, IL |

City wants to just pay hospital costs and says I don't need a lawyer as they will just make things more complicated and it will take longer to get monies and it will cost me big time. Plus they said I would probably get a lot less with an attorney. My brother says I need to get an attorney. I have a broken leg, bruises and scrapes and stitches. City wants me to sign something that agrees to just hospital costs. I will have ongoing bills from this (more doctors visits, x-rays, getting stitches removed, etc.) I also cannot work right now and may even lose my job if I don't get back to work soon. I don't have the money to pay for an attorney. There were multiple witnesses and there is a police report on the accident. The bus driver was at fault.

Rumor has it that the bus driver was drinking on the job - no wonder he hit me. Doctor thinks I have some possible nerve damage in my leg. Who do you all recommend as the best attorney for my case here in Chicago? I can't afford to pay for an attorney.

You do need a lawyer. Otherwise the city will take advantage of you. Study after study shows that claimants who use an attorney recover much more than claimants without attorneys. You need someone who is on your side. The city is not on your side.

But what if you can't afford an attorney? I was hit by the city bus and it was the drivers fault. Can't someone help me?

C. Donald Briggs III

C. Donald Briggs III

It will not cost you anything up front to get an attorney or to consult with an attorney. The attorney will work on a contingency basis (no fee unless a recovery).

Frankly speaking, the city is trying to screw you. You are entitled to much more than the costs of the medical expenses, including pain and suffering, lost income, disability, et cetera. Retain a lawyer on contingency right away to file suit. Many of us, including myself, have experience dealing with the CTA.

chenkasher@gmail.com
chenkasherlaw.vpweb.com
(773) 853-3062

This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.

But which lawyer to use? There are so many and I don't know where to even start... I have no money for an attorney.

Chen Kasher

Chen Kasher

Most injury attorneys offer free consultations and work on contingency, which means you pay nothing up-front. They will generally take one-third of any recovery. There is no right or wrong attorney. Speak with a few and see who you trust.

I need an attorney asap because the hospital is calling me wanting money and I have none. I have no insurance and they won't tell me the amount of my bill, but it must be huge.

Chen Kasher

Chen Kasher

Right, speak with someone today. They can call the hospital and tell them to put a lien on any recovery in lieu of running after you. Providers lien treatment all the time.

Chen Kasher

Chen Kasher

Contingency means that any payment to the lawyer is "contingent" on a recovery. If the attorney wins your case, they will generally receive one-third. If they lose, you owe them nothing.

One third of what? My court costs or attorney fees?

Chen Kasher

Chen Kasher

One third of your total recovery from defendant

Hire a lawyer without delay. Hire an attorney who has litigated cases against the City. Talk to a few lawyers before you decide.

J. Younes
(312)372-1122

How to hire attorney with no money? I was a pedestrian and got hit by a bus. I have a broken leg that was partially mangled.

Joseph Younes

Joseph Younes

There is no cost to you upfront since the attorney works on a contingency basis. J. Younes 312-372-1122

An injury attorney will take this case on contingency. You can choose to believe them---ask yourself if they are likely looking out for your interests or theirs. Think your brother has your interests at heart? Get an attorney. They know they are on the hook big time and just want to minimize the payout.

The contents of this post do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Any comments made in this post are general in nature and may not apply to the specific facts and law of your case.

What is contingency? I have no money and can't afford a lawyer. Whom will help me with my case?

If you are physically able get to the office of an experienced local personal injury attorney ASAP and stop talking to the city before you irrevocably undermine your claim. There are too many things that you do not know that can hurt you.

You CANNOT afford NOT to hire an attorney! There is NO up-front cost. Consult an experienced Personal injury attorney ASAP. Most of us are willing to arrange to meet with you at home if you are unable to travel, due to your injuries. Good luck.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: CJCandiano@CandianoLaw.com http://www.CandianoLaw.com

I have no money. I have huge medical bills coming. The hospital is already calling me daily for how I will be paying for my medical treatment - I can only imagine how much it is going to cost for a week at the hospital and the surgery to set the bones in my leg. I need help and can't afford an attorney.

Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

You do not need to pay anything now. Our fee comes from your recovery. If you do not recover, we do NOT get paid. All personal injury attorneys work this way. If you have no health insurance, the hospital will simply lien your file. You owe it to yourself and anyone you provide for to contact myself or another reputable attorney. Good luck. Candiano Law Office Charles J. Candiano 53 West Jackson Blvd. Suite 1337 Chicago, IL 60604 (888) 373-9964 toll-free (312) 465-2914 telephone (312) 624--8184 fax website: www.CandianoLaw.com email: CJCandiano@CandianoLaw.com

Of course you could listen to the city which is trying to screw you, as Mr. Kasher points out, or you could get a lawyer to help you refute their nonsense.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL
773-944-9737
Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
Website: www.hofflawyer.com
Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Lawyers want lots of money and I have none. I was hit by a city bus. I was a pedestrian. It was the drivers fault and they know that. There were witnesses. Why does no one want to help me?

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Lawyers who handle personal injury cases almost all work on a contingency fee, meaning they collect money only if you win or settle the case. They take their fee of 1/3 usually out of the settlement or verdict. You are leaving lots of money on the table if you do NOT hire a lawyer.

You definitely do NOT want to sign anything that limits your recovery to medical bills only. You are entitled to more than that if you were injured, such as lost income attributable to the injury, and compensation for the pain and suffering you are having due to this accident. If there is any permanency to your injury that limits your ability to do things in the future, you are entitled to recover for that as well. You should speak to a personal injury attorney to help you protect your rights. My office, as well as most injury attorneys, offer a free initial consultation and you need not pay anything up front. The attorney earns his/her fee as a percentage of the recovery from the defendant(s) on your behalf. Contact an attorney as soon as possible. You do not want to navigate a claim against the bus company by yourself.

Get a lawyer. Get a lawyer. Get a lawyer.

But there are so many lawyers out there - whom is the best for my case?

Contact and consult with a local personal injury attorney.

I am trying and so far no one here says they will take my case and help me. I thought I could get a good attorney on here but I cannot afford one.

I think you already know the answer: GET A LAWYER!!
Why on earth would you ever consider signing a paper liming you recovery to just doctor bills, and waiving your right to recover for pain & suffering, loss of income, disfigurement, future damages, and anything else that you may be entitled to? Because the people on the hook for paying these damages told you it would be a good idea? It is disgusting and reprehensible for an adjuster to attempt to get you to sign a release of your rights and try to talk you out of getting legal advice and representation. It is also unauthorized practice of law for this person to be giving you (bad) legal advice.

Many qualified attorneys will give a free consultation and represent you on a contingent fee basis (you only pay a percentage of the recovery at the end of the case, nothing up front). Start by getting a private, detailed, free consultation from a Chicago personal injury lawyer. Do not sign anything or even speak with the city adjuster again until you've done that.

Steven A. Sigmond
Law Office of Steven A. Sigmond
345 N. Canal #1208
Chicago, IL 60606

(312) 756-1186

Steve@Siglaw.com
www.Siglaw.com
www.ChicagoAccidentLawyer.com

Call (312) 756-1186 for a FREE CONSULTATION with Steven A. Sigmond, confidential and available to anyone who has been injured in an accident or hurt at work. However, a free consultation is not legal advice, nor is the answer to the question listed above or anything posted on this website. This answer is general information. Proper legal advice can only be obtained after hiring an attorney and providing full information regarding your case.

Retain a personal injury lawyer to handle it

This is a situation where hiring an attorney will clearly mean more money in your pocket. Most injury attorneys will agree not to charge you any fees unless money is recovered on your behalf.

Mario Palermo
Woodruff Johnson & Palermo
630-585-2320

When the other side tells you NOT to get a lawyer, that is when you absolutely should get a lawyer. The City is liable to you for far more than your hospital bill. You are entitled to compensation for ALL medical care and treatment: past, present and future. You are also entitled to compensation for your lost wages, pain and suffering, loss of normal life/activities, etc...again, past, present and future. You do not need money to retain a lawyer in this situation. All fees should be based upon a percentage of what is recovered for you by way of settlement or judgment (typically one-third). This is called a contingency fee arrangement. I would urge you to consult in person with at least two experienced personal injury attorneys. Most of us will provide you a free consultation. www.galivanlaw.net

Daniel G. Galivan

Daniel G. Galivan

I would add that you need to immediately stop speaking to the adjuster for the City and ANY lawyer who wants any money up front, or more than one-third of the recovery, is not worth having a second conversation with. www.galivanlaw.net