Was charged with grand larceny from a store but never left the store with merchandise

Asked about 1 year ago - Utica, NY

had items in a cart but left when a lady yelled at me and called for security aressted me two months later

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . You don't have to leave to be guilty but more facts are needed. Hire a criminal defense lawyer.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

1

Answered . The police can investigate and arrest later. In this case, it seems like the security at the store believed you took items valued at over $1000.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

3. Marco Caviglia

Pro

1

Answered . Unless the way you had the items "in a cart" or other facts you don't mention demonstrated an intent inconsistent with the ownership of the items by the store until you paid for them, then you have a defensible case on that ground. But you don't need to leave the store or even go past the cash register to be liable for larceny.